Happy Memorial Day weekend, folks! For those of you who live in the States, this is the time when we honor those who lost their lives while serving our country. I want to take a minute to thank all of you out there who currently serve and protect us every day. For those of you overseas, I pray for your safe and speedy return home!
Memorial Day is also the unofficial start of summer, and for our community the beginning of our busy season. This has always been a very busy weekend for me over the years, and this will be the first time in decades I won’t be jockeying for space on the dance floor, camera in hand. Truth be told, I never enjoyed shooting on holiday weekends, especially Memorial Day and Labor Day, so I plan on taking full advantage of my down time with some much needed R&R.
Hopefully you guys don’t have to work all weekend. If you have some extra time, I’ve put together a list of both fun and productive ways to spend the weekend:
1. Learn how to tie a bow tie! Come on, you knew this was coming right? In all seriousness though, how many times have you walked into a room full of groomsmen watching youtube videos desperately trying to tie this terribly easy knot. Should you need one more video to show the groomsmen, I’ve made one for you to reference.
Illustration courtesy: Need Supply Co. (This is also a pretty good handy one to print out)
2. Clean your lenses! Blow off those sensors!
3. Update your apps and organize your computer desktop! I always wait until the last minute, or for an application to stop working because I need to upgrade. This always comes at the worst time, and then something gets screwy.
4. While we’re in a cleaning mood…shine your shoes! Men, we need to talk. I’ve seen your shoes, and a little polish goes a long way!
5. You know what else takes 30 seconds? Making the perfect Martini!
Here’s my recipe:
—1 1/2 ounces Vodka (Gin makes me gag!)
—3/4 ounce of Vermouth
—two olives (shake off all that juice! It just makes for a slimy oil slick on top of your cocktail)
Fill a shaker with ice, and shake vigorously for 2 minutes. DO NOT STOP, DO NOT STIR! Pour (I like to use a highball glass) and drop the olives in. If you like it a little dirty, pour some olive juice in. I think that’s gross, but to each his own.
Okay, so now you’ve mastered the bow tie, cleaned your lenses and your shoes are squeaky clean and super shiny. Oh, and you’ve poured yourself a tasty cocktail. Now it’s time to get to the important stuff:
-Enter your images (if you haven’t done so already) into the 1st half print competition! The first deadline is June 15th! Remember, gaining those points toward your Honors of Excellence designation starts now!
-Write a thank you note. There’s most likely at least one person you forgot to thank; this is a great weekend to do it. It’s never too late to show your gratitude!
-Go out and shoot something for your soul. Doesn’t matter what it is, grab a camera and create!
-Call your Mom. No explanation necessary, just do it!
Have a great weekend you guys! Be safe, and I’m looking forward to seeing your pics clogging up my Facebook feed next week!